Oyu Tolgoi today marked the second anniversary of its first shipment being dispatched from site for export. The first batch of copper concentrate was shipped from Oyu Tolgoi on 9 July, 2013.
Speaking to members of the workforce at Shaft 1 at Oyu Tolgoi – one of the main surface sites of the underground mine – Oyu Tolgoi President and CEO, Andrew Woodley, said, “The past year has been one of transformation – taking Oyu Tolgoi from an emerging operation, to a world-class Mongolian business that is raising the bar not only at home, but around the world.
“Our relationship with our partner communities – built on a foundation of mutual trust and respect – is deeper than ever before. I am confident that – together – we are well on the way towards achieving a relationship that provides truly sustainable development in the long term.
“However, the world is going through major structural shifts and the commodities markets – which we serve – have been under significant pressure. It is critical that we continue to adapt our business position to focus on cashflow, bring down costs and maximize productivity.
“We have a long road ahead, but while it may be not always be easy, it is one full of opportunity. Our people are our greatest asset, and working together – with a total commitment to our own, and each other’s safety – we will deliver on our potential and our promise.
“I am tremendously excited to set out on this journey with the Oyu Tolgoi family, and our many partners and stakeholders.”
- Safety remains the Oyu Tolgoi’s absolute priority, with the company already ranking among the best in the company’s peer group.
- Oyu Tolgoi crossed a landmark milestone in March, 2015 with one million tonnes of concentrate shipped.
- This was achieved together with Oyu Tolgoi’s partners – over 800 companies across Mongolia providing goods and services, and accounting for nearly 80 per cent of the company spend over 2014. Behind these companies stand over 35,000 workers, and their families, from all over Mongolia.
- Oyu Tolgoi remains one of the most water efficient mines of its type in the world, consuming less than half of the water of any mine of a similar type, and achieving recycling rates in excess of 80 per cent.
- The company signed a MoU with Erdenet Mining Corporation in April, 2015 focused on sharing global best practices in health, safety, environment and community engagement; and, organizing a forum in 2 July with the Ministry of Construction aimed at sharing global best practices in safety with companies across Mongolia.
- Oyu Tolgoi has, since 2010, made social investments of nearly US$35 million, of which nearly US$19 million was invested in community projects.
- The company has made a major commitment to Khanbogd, opened the Community Interaction Centre in Khanbogd to facilitate day-to-day engagement between the business and its neighbours, and also partnered with the United Nations Population Fund to set up a Youth Development Centre in Khanbogd, also inaugurated today.
- Most recently in the community space, Oyu Tolgoi has signed a landmark Cooperation Agreement with its partner communities – laying the foundations for a true long-term partnership.
You can read Andrew Woodley’s speech in full here.
About Oyu Tolgoi LLC (www.ot.mn)
Oyu Tolgoi LLC, Mongolia's largest copper and gold mining company, is a strategic partnership between the Government of Mongolia, Turquoise Hill Resources and Rio Tinto. Located in the South Gobi, Oyu Tolgoi commenced shipment of product to customers in July 2013. Oyu Tolgoi is managed by Rio Tinto, which is investing global expertise and cutting-edge technology to help develop Mongolia’s mining industry and ensure Oyu Tolgoi is one of the world’s most advanced mines. For Oyu Tolgoi, nothing matters more than safety. The business operates under the principle that if a job cannot be done safely, it will not be done at all.