Oyu Tolgoi today announced the roll-out of an innovative and ground-breaking new safety programme across several areas of the operation with the deployment of SmartCap technology. The SmartCap device, mounted on an operator’s cap, monitors the electrical activity of the brain, and alerts both the operator and the Oyu Tolgoi control room if an operator – for example, a haul truck driver - is at risk of falling asleep.
Fatigue induced micro-sleep, while operating vehicles and heavy machinery, is one of the most common and dangerous risks faced in the mining industry.
Speaking at the launch of the SmartCap programme, Oyu Tolgoi President and CEO Andrew Woodley said, “As a young and growing business, we have the opportunity to adopt cutting edge technology to drive improved safety performance. I am thrilled that, going forward, the SmartCap will help our people to manage their fatigue and reduce the risks of serious injury.
“Making sure that each member of our workforce returns home safely to their loved ones is, and will always remain, our foremost measure of success. This technology is an exciting addition to our safety toolbox.”
Quick facts about SmartCap:
- Developed specifically for improving safety in mining operations, the technology was first introduced at Rio Tinto’s Australian coal mines.
- Alerts the operator when focus is weakened, providing advanced warning of potential micro-sleeps
- Assists drivers to manage their fatigue
- Reduces the risk of incidents due to fatigue and microsleep
- Equipped with technology, mounted on a standard cap or other headwear such as beanies and headbands, which utilizes proven methods for monitoring the electrical activity of the brain
About Oyu Tolgoi LLC (www.ot.mn)
Oyu Tolgoi LLC, Mongolia's largest copper and gold mining company, is a strategic partnership between the Government of Mongolia, Turquoise Hill Resources and Rio Tinto. Located in the South Gobi, Oyu Tolgoi commenced shipment of product to customers in July 2013. Oyu Tolgoi is managed by Rio Tinto, which is investing global expertise and cutting-edge technology to help develop Mongolia’s mining industry and ensure Oyu Tolgoi is one of the world’s most advanced mines. For Oyu Tolgoi, nothing matters more than safety. The business operates under the principle that if a job cannot be done safely, it will not be done at all.