Best Mongolian suppliers awarded
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia – Mongolian mining company, Oyu Tolgoi LLC, held its annual Supplier recognition awards to promote the best supplier companies, contractors and individuals that are working together with us to build the world-scale Oyu Tolgoi copper-gold complex.
Since 2000, the number of Mongolian supplier companies and contractors has been increasing constantly and as of today there are 2,420 companies and individuals registered in Oyu Tolgoi’s preferred supplier list. We expect this will grow during the construction phase and Oyu Tolgoi stays open to all interested parties who wish to cooperate with us in supplying international standard goods and services.
Keith Marshall, President and CEO of Oyu Tolgoi LLC, remarked in his opening speech, “From January 1, 2010 through to September 30, 2010, Oyu Tolgoi signed 345 contracts with Mongolian companies valuing 272 billion MNT. In addition, Mongolian companies filled 1,182 purchase orders totalling 84.1 billion MNT and accounting for 80 per cent of total purchase orders for the period.”
Many of the contracts include major site development and construction work, including:
- Steel structure and concrete work at the future copper-gold concentrator
- Construction of employee and contractor camps
- Installation of two new concrete-producing batch plants, including Mongolia’s largest with a daily capacity of 200 cubic meters
- Foundational work related to the construction of the Shaft #2 Headframe
- Installation of diesel power generation station
- Earthworks at the future open pit mine
- Light vehicle leasing and maintenance
- Operation and maintenance of site utilities
- Construction of 4,500-bed camp and facilities
- Employee secondment and personnel service
- Operation and maintenance of fuel distribution and storage facilities
- Charter flight services
- Site security services
- Engineering services
- Local transportation
- Information Technology and communications services
Fourteen companies received awards from more than 130 permanent contractors and suppliers based on their safety, sustainability, employee training, quality and on-time delivery performances.
- Best developing supplier (Khanbogd) – Ulziit Munkh Ovoo LLC (Sewing of uniforms)
- Best developing supplier (Umnugobi) – Dayanbaigal LLC (Construction)
- Best small enterprise supplier – Nomgongol LLC (Industrial products, electrical cables and consumables)
- Best medium enterprise supplier – Batseer LLC (Automotive and maintenance parts)
- Best regional supplier – Erdenet carpet factory (Carpet making)
- Best large enterprise supplier (Ulaanbaatar) – MCS Electronics LLC (Computer IT equipment)
- Best off site services supplier – Geomandal LLC (Camp and Ger producer)
- Strongest improvement in safety culture – Barilga corporation (Construction company and over 200,000 hours LTI free)
- Strongest commitment to employee training – Mongolian-Korean Technical College (Working with Wagner Asia Mongolia LLC on training)
- Best social contribution – Dary Solntsa and Tsogt Orshikhui LLC (Sewing of uniforms in ger districts)
- Most innovative supplier – RUC Mongolia LLC (Raise bore)
- Best delivery in full on time – IZMon LLC (Architects)
- Best consultancy – Agriteam LLC (Agricultural consultancy)
- Grand prix Best supplier 2010 – Ulziit Munkh Ovoo LLC (Sewing of uniforms)
Please click here to view the photo album.
About Oyu Tolgoi LLC (www.ot.mn)
Oyu Tolgoi LLC, Mongolia's largest copper and gold mining company, is a strategic partnership between the Government of Mongolia, Turquoise Hill Resources and Rio Tinto. Located in the South Gobi, Oyu Tolgoi commenced shipment of product to customers in July 2013. Oyu Tolgoi is managed by Rio Tinto, which is investing global expertise and cutting-edge technology to help develop Mongolia’s mining industry and ensure Oyu Tolgoi is one of the world’s most advanced mines. For Oyu Tolgoi, nothing matters more than safety. The business operates under the principle that if a job cannot be done safely, it will not be done at all.